ABOUT USHISTORYCONTACT US HOME PAGESITEMAPFREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Federal ID Number:

57-1179239

As of November 27, 2002

 

Old Chattahoochee County Courthouse

KASIHTA (CUSSETA)
  Kasihta "the Peace Town of the Lower Creeks" one of the two great Muskogee towns in the Creek Confederation of the Indians, stood on the site of the Generals Headquarters at Fort Benning. Kasihta mentioned in the narrative of DeSoto's expedition in 1540, was burned by the Spaniards under Matheos, commander of the post at Apalachee, in 1686 at a site on the Chattahoochee River.

Then the Kasihta with other Lower Creek tribes moved to the Ocmulgee River to be near the English traders but after the Yamasee War, moved to this site where they remained until 1836. Known to have been one of the oldest and most important towns of the Lower Creeks, Kasihta township, according to the census 1832 -33 had 1,918 residents.

CHATTAHOOCHEE COUNTY, GEORGIA
  Chattahoochee County, created by Act of February 13, 1854, was cut off from Muscogee and Marion Counties. It was named for the Chattahoochee River. Its courthouse, constructed in 1854, was built of select heart lumber from the Long Leaf Pine by slave labor, and is displayed at Westville in Lumpkin, GA.

First county officers, commissioned March 11, 1854, were: William W. Bussey - Sheriff; N. N. Howard, Clerk -  Superior Court; Ezekiel Walters - Clerk Interior Court; Abner Smith - Ordinary; William H. Askew - Tax Receiver; Stephen Parkei - Tax Collector; Littleton Morgan - Surveyor; William S. Howard - Coroner.

Government Offices Public Safety Services Recreation
powered by:
Quadrant Technology, LLC